Uganda has a rapidly growing population, which is putting a great deal of stress on the country’s forests by increasing demand for firewood, pushing agricultural expansion, and expanding land settlement. As a result, Uganda now has one of the highest rates of deforestation in the world. In Northern Uganda, much of the forest has been cleared for charcoal production, degrading wildlife habitat and presenting a hardship for local farmers.
SOWI helps in conserving the environment through;
A) Promoting Tree planting. We provide tree seedling and train the communities on how to plant trees and woodlots. We train on Agro-forestry and encourage farmers to practice afforestation. 1000 supplied tree seedlings and 1,010 grafted fruit trees were also supplied to the community and planted in their compounds and along their land boundaries.
B) Energy conservation technologies. We train on construction and use of energy saving cook stoves to help in reducing on the number of trees cut down for firewood.
- $100us is sufficient to raise 1000 seedlings
- $50us Trains 50 community members on importance of tree Planting
- $30us Transport 1000 Seeding to homes
- $20us Buys 2 pairs of Gumboots for Nursery Bed Attendants
- $10us Buys Training Materials to train 50 community Members